The California Highway Patrol has completed its investigation of a June 7 incident in which a Corona del Mar High School student fell onto the 73 Freeway from a party bus headed to prom, a spokesman confirmed.

The District Atty.'s office is reviewing the case, but has not filed charges, said spokeswoman Roxi Fyad.

A CHP official earlier said the D.A.'s office had not reviewed the case, but Fyad said that was inaccurate.

Charlotte Boyse, 17, was one of 58 students on the bus headed to prom at the Arroyo Trabuco Golf Course when the incident occurred on the 73 south of Newport Coast Drive.

According to a CHP news release, the bus was traveling 35 to 40 mph, and Boyse was standing and dancing on a seat bench next to a window when she leaned against the window and it opened, causing her to fall into the middle of the road. She then ran to the center divider.

Boyse was taken to the hospital and treated for scrapes and a bruised tailbone.

According to an accident report, the "cause of this collision was other than the driver."

The driver, the report said, claimed she checked all windows and latches at the beginning of the shift, making sure all windows were latched shut because the bus was air conditioned.

Boyse told investigators that she was on the left side of the bus next to the second to last window.

"Ms. Boyse noticed cool air coming from a vent on the ceiling of the bus," the report said. "In order to get closer to the air vent, Ms. Boyse stepped up onto the bench in which she was sitting on."

She and another girl began to dance, and when she leaned her back against the window, it flung open.

"When asked, Ms. Boyse claimed she did not unlatch the window, or know if anyone else had unlatched it," the report said.

Another girl on the bus told investigators that no one touched the window latches, and that all windows were covered by black curtains, which no one had moved.

The window was 4 feet, 8 inches wide and 2 feet, 8 inches tall, the report said. A supervisor inspected the window and "found the window latch to be in good working condition."

Students had each chipped in about $50 to rent the party bus, which was supplied by the Leon Party Bus Co. in Downey.

The company apparently was operating illegally, based on letters and records of the California Public Utilities Commission, which regulates party buses. The incident led to a new PUC investigation, but updates on that case were not immediately available.

Boyse's father, Conrad Boyse, said she was doing well. He also questioned who should have been responsible for making sure that the functioning latch was securely fastened.


Park near Hobie shop delayed

A planned park to be built on a sloping hill near the Hobie Surf shop mural is delayed at least until fall, City Councilman Ed Selich said.