Three people were displaced Thursday after overheated oil caught fire on a stove in an Eastside Costa Mesa apartment, officials said.

Costa Mesa and Newport Beach firefighters responded at 8:45 a.m. to the call at 399 E. 18th St.

After arriving within four minutes, they discovered smoke coming from an upstairs apartment. They were able to contain the fire to the kitchen, said Battalion Chief Bill Kershaw of the Costa Mesa Fire Department.

Twenty-three personnel responded to the call.

No injuries were reported, and a damage estimate was not available as of early Friday afternoon, Kershaw said.

—Bradley Zint

Twitter: @bradleyzint