Debris from a fireplace likely sparked a Newport Beach roof fire, officials said Monday.

The blaze, which was reported at a two-story single family home in the 1800 block of Port Carlow Place about 9:19 p.m. Sunday, caused about $100,000 in damage, according to a Newport Beach Fire Department news release.

No one was injured, officials said.

Authorities sent an arson investigator to the scene, a Metro Net dispatcher said Monday.

However, preliminary investigation results show that the fire was likely caused by burning debris that may have escaped from the chimney — which authorities said lacked a spark arrester — and landed on the house's wood-shingled roof, according to the release.

About 20 Newport Beach and Orange County Fire Authority helped get flames under control within 20 minutes, the release said. The fire was confined to the roof and attic.

In the release, NBFD reminded residents that "proper inspection and maintenance of your fireplace and chimney" can prevent such incidents. "Also, well-maintained, fire resistive roofing material" can help prevent roofs from catching fire.

— Jill Cowan

Twitter: @jillcowan